Wednesday, August 03, 2005

SHAZZAS SOCKS


1 100 gram ball Opal sock wool
1 set 2.75mm double pointed sock needles (I am a tight knitter so this size needle suits, if you are a loose knitter, use 2.25mm)

This is a ladies medium fitting sock.

Using No. 2.75 needles, cast on 64 sts. Divide sts on 3 needles (20 - 24 - 20). Place a marker between the first and second sts. to indicate the beginning of the round and join the work.
Work k1, p1 rib for 20 rounds.Next round - Knit.Continue in this way (knit every round) and work until leg measures 21cms from the cast on edge.

NOW THE FUN PART, BEGINNING OF THE HEEL
Knit 16 sts, slip the last 16 sts of round on to other end of same needle (these 32 sts are for the heel) . Divide remaining sts. on two needles to be worked later for the instep.
With wrong side facing sl 1, purl 30, k1

Work 5.5cms (or desired length) as follows ending on a right side row.
Row 1: (RS) Slip the first stitch as if to purl (k1, slip 1) across, ending k1.
Row 2: Slip 1 as if to purl, purl 30, k1

NOW TURN THE HEEL
Row 1 (wrong side) Slip 1, p16, p2 tog. p1, turn
Row 2 Slip 1, k3, ssk, k1, turn
Row 3 Slip 1, p4, p2 tog. p1, turn
Row 4 Slip 1, k5, ssk, k1, turn, Continue in this manner, until all sts. are worked onto one needle. (18sts)

NOW WORK THE INSTEP
Pick up 14 sts. along the edge of the heel flap, work across the sts on the two needles for the instep, knitting them onto one needle as you go. With spare needle pick up 14 sts along the second edge of the heel flap, knitting 9 sts from the heel needle onto this needle (23 - 32 - 23)

DECREASE INSTEP
Round 1: 1st needle - knit to last 3 sts, k2tog,k1; 2nd needle - knit; 3rd needle - k1, ssk, knit to end of the round.Round 2: KnitRepeat these two rounds until 64 sts remain in the round.

WORK THE FOOT
Continue without shaping until foot measures 17 - 18cms (or approximately 6.5cms less than the length of the persons foot that the sock is for.

SHAPE THE TOE
Round 1: 1st needle - work to 3sts from the end, k2 tog, k1; 2nd needle - k1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts k2tog, k1; 3rd needle - K1, ssk, knit to the end of the round.
Round 2: knitRepeat 1st and 2nd rounds until24 sts. remain in the round. Knit sts of 1st needle on to the end of the 3rd needle.
Graft these sts together.

This is the pattern that I use for knitting my socks it has the best bits that I have tweaked from many sock patterns over time in a quest for perfecting a sock pattern that is both easy to knit and wears well.

This pattern is for personal use only, the pattern or items made from it are not to be sold.
My knitting blog can be found here.
My Etsy shop can be found here where I have these socks available for sale if you would rather purchase a ready made pair.

9 comments:

Rachael Elswyk said...

I so want to try these socks! Thanks for making this pattern available Sharon

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this socks pattern shaz!!!

Craftybernie said...

I love these socks and the wool colourway. I have been wanting to have a go at making at least one pair. Thanks for publishing your pattern. I have put it on my (craftadolist).

Bestwishes...Bernie

Bex said...

I have to say, i am totally in love with all the stuff you make - its really gorgeous!

(makes me feel bad for not posting anything on my blog hehe)

Cheers
Bex

kracz said...

I am knitting your aock pattern and have a question. I am at the part to turn the heel, and there is an abrieviation SSK, what does that mean?

I thank you for your help.

Kathy

Craftybernie said...

Tee hee hee!!! I still haven't finished these socks - sock knitting hasn't 'caught' me like it has other knitters. And I now have two skeins of sock yarn - the original Opal that Katie picked out and a gorgeous skein of STR yarn from an exchange.... :(

I'm going to finish them by the end of August if it kills me!!!

Glad to see that your knitting is going well. I'm a bad bloghopper lately (the past 6 months!) so it's nice to catch up and see how well you're doing.

Best wishes..Bernie

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Beautiful Opal sox! And thanks for sharing your pattern for them. Loved the green and white beanie very much. Always love to come poke around and see what you've got rolling off your assembly line. =o)

Ann said...

I received this site address last year from Rachael. I also need to know what SSK means, thanks

Anonymous said...

SSK = Slip, Slip, Knit... so you slip a stitch, slip another stitch onto your needle, then go into the back of the next stitch and knit them together.