Monday, November 27, 2006

BRIMMED CAP




Materials:
2 50g 8ply (sport weight) wool
3 1/4 mm (US 3) and 4 mm (US 6) short length circular needles
4 mm (US 6) straight needles
stitch marker

Tension (gauge)
22 stitches - 10 cms (4 inches)

Size: one size fits most

Using 3 1/4 mm (US 3) circular needles cast on 120 stitches and join, being careful not to twist stitches, place marker and work in k1, p1 rib for 6 rounds. Change to 4mm (US 6) circulars and work in stocking stitch (all rounds knit) until work measures 16 cms (6 1/4 inches) from beginning.

Shape crown:
using a set of double point needles makes this easier.
1st round - *k2 tog, k6 repeat from * to end.
2nd round - *k2 tog, k5 repeat from * to end.
3rd round - *k2 tog, k4 repeat from * to end.
4th round - *k2 tog, k3 repeat from * to end.
5th round - *k2 tog, k2 repeat from * to end.
6th round - *k2 tog, k1 repeat from * to end.
7th round - *k2 tog, repeat from * to end.
Break off yarn leaving a long end and draw through stitches pulling tightly and secure.

Peak
Using 4mm (US 6) straight needles cast on 17 stitches.
1st row - k1, p1 to end of row.
2nd row - k1, *k1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1
Continue in rib, casting on 3 stitches at beginning of every row fourteen times (59 stitches). Work 1 row without shaping, cast off.

Peak Facing
Using 4mm (US 6) straight needles cast on 15 stitches.
1st row - knit.
2nd row - purl.
Continue in stocking stitch, casting on 3 stitches at beginning of every row 10 times (45 stitches).
Work 1 row without shaping, cast off.

Making up
Sew in ends and placing right side of peak facing to right side of peak, sew front seam then turn to right side. Using a flat seam, sew peak to main section of hat.

This pattern is for personal use only, the pattern or items made from it are not to be sold.
My knitting blog can be found here.
My Etsy shop can be found here where I have these hats available for sale if you would rather purchase one ready made.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting your pattern. I will print out a copy and try my hand at it soon as I finnish the one I am doing now.

Nana Sadie said...

Sharon! That's so cute! I'm going to have to try this, as DD would love it!
Thank you...
(((hugs)))

MsFortuknit said...

That is sooooooooooo adorable hun! Im going to print it ASAP!
Hope all is well with you and mr T

Girlie said...

Ohhhhh, I love this hat. I paid about 30 bucks for the last one I have. IT's a bit more like newsboy hat, but still similar.

Unknown said...

Okay I've just wrote out your pattern by hand (then I know what I am doing). I'll let you know how it goes.

MsFortuknit said...

I just made this in mixed colors I gotta get a photo of it and shoot it over to you! Can you believe I finally have the time to knit! hahaah
I hope that you and the boy are well!

Dana Meanor said...

I love your knitted caps with the brims! I can't say that I've seen these anywhere else. Also, you have a good mix of colors and color combos. Good work! -Dana

P.S. Thanks for the comment on my blog!

sfmommy99 said...

A little off topic, but can you tell me how wide the aran shawl was when it was finished? I'm thinking about making it. Thanks!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What a cute hat! Which needle should give the prescribed gauge of 10cm for 22 stitches? The 3.25 or 4 mm? Thanks!!

ennadoolf said...

Thanks so much for this pattern - I wanted to make one with a brim! I also just hearted your etsy shop! :)
PatternsAndSuch.etsy.com

Becs Clayton said...

Hi Sharon I am after this pattern for an age!I am in Launceston Cornwall UK "The Cornwall Yarn Shop", all the best
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hey, any suggestions on what stitch to use to sew the brim seams together?

Anonymous said...

Hi- what yarn do yo recommend ? I see the gauge, but is that the gauge on the larger or smaller needles?
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Husband wants me to make one for him. Will this fit a head circumferance of 23", if not, need writen instrctions for that size head.

I have been looking for an easy brimmed hat pattern that I can easily make, and that he likes, and bingo! this was it!

Thanks