Monday, February 06, 2006

MUSE HAT


I love crocheted hats but unfortunately I cannot crochet. Many years ago I remember knitting a jacket which had a stitch pattern that looked just like crochet so after sorting through my old pattern books I found the pattern and used it to make my Muse Hat. Why Muse you ask? It reminds me of the hats that the beautiful wives / girlfriends of famous musicians and artists were always pictured wearing in my mums New Idea magazines during the '60s and '70's, complete with the false eyelashes and long hair. It is being modelled here by my DD, who loves the hat so I think I will have to knit myself another one.

Materials:
2 x 50gram balls of Cleckheaton Natural 12ply
5.5mm circular needles (40cm length)
1 x set 5.5mm double pointed needles
1 stitch marker

Tension:
16sts per 10cm in moss stitch (k1, p1 rib)

Using 5.5mm circulars cast on 69 sts, join and place a stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round.
Round 1: k1, p1, repeat to the end of the round.
Round 2: p1, k1, repeat to the end of the round.
Continue working in moss stitch as established, 4 more rows (6 rows in all).
Begin pattern:
Round 1: k1* yfwd, k2tog, repeat from * to the end of the round.
Round 2: knit.
Round 3: *sl 1, k1, psso, yfwd, rep from * to last stitch, k1.
Round 4: knit.

Last 4 rows form pattern, work in pattern until work measures 12cms from cast on edge, ending with a round 4.

Next row k2tog, knit to last 2 stitches of the round, k2tog (67 sts)

You can change to double pointed needles now or later when there are too few stitches for the circulars.

Crown Shaping:
k1, *k4, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round.
knit 1 round.
k1, *k3, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round.
knit 1 round.
k1, *k2, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round.
knit 1 round.
k1, *k1, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round.
knit 1 round.
*k2tog, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

Cut a long tail of yarn and thread onto a darning needle and thread through all the remaining stitches and pull up tightly as you go. Weave in ends and your hat is ready to wear.

This pattern is for personal use only, the pattern or items made from it are not to be sold.
My knitting blog can be found here.
My Etsy shop can be found here where I have these hats available for sale if you would rather purchase one ready made.

8 comments:

Suzi said...

Ha Ha! Consider it snagged! I'll have to make myself one now, I can pretend to be srioulsy boho while drinking my chai latte!

Suzi.

Nana Sadie said...

oh! Love it! (I remember those days, all too well...) Will have to make this one...
(((hugs)))

L. said...

I'll have to make my DIL one of these....it's so cool! Thanks for the pattern! I love your blog.:)

MsFortuknit said...

I love that!

Bex said...

Oh I really like that!
My DH is gonna get one of those!

Anonymous said...

Just finished making one of these; quick, fun, and looks really nifty. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this hat!!!! It's much easier than I thought it would be, but it looks so complicated. I've been looking for a hat like this for a long time, but I can't crochet either. Thanks so much for this pattern--it's exactly what I was looking for!!!

Anonymous said...

thank you thank you. I too cannot crochet for some dumb reason but knit I can!!! Have been looking at these hats with envy -- thanks for instructions for the spastic hands.